Information for applicants:
Calls for Tilde New Music Festival 2019 have now closed.
- No currently open calls, check back regularly!:
- Projects and performances (now closed: thanks to all who applied) including notated music, improvisation, installations, and electroacoustic performance. Tilde particularly welcomes submissions featuring solo and ensemble repertoire; female, trans, intersex, and non-binary composers and sound artists; and site-specific works.
- Opening Soon Collaborative projects. Artists submit their interest in participating in a collaboration with other festival artists. Groups meet in the weeks leading up to the festival to prepare a 10-minute site-specific performance.
- Opening Soon Fixed Media works to be presented at the festival in the sound installation.
- Tilde New Music Festival is hosted at Testing Grounds in Southbank, Melbourne. This is a unique space and we reccommend checking it out before you before submitting your EOI.
- Please contact us if you need help tracking down resources for your project.
- What we look for from EOIs:
- Experience of practitioner;
- Aesthetic and ideological suitability (see below);
- Logistics: can we support the project?
- Aesthetic considerations: Tilde promotes contemporary (new – art music), exploratory and experimental music. Our program usually consists of contemporary composers (Australian and international - focusing on Australasia, nothing written before 1969*), electroacoustic performance, improvisation in a free or post-classical style (i.e. not jazz), and inter-disciplinary collaboration (previously we have had dancers, painters, animators, and performance artists). We also have an installation featuring sound art/electronic and computer music.
- International and Interstate Applicants: while we welcome EOIs from international applicants, please be aware that we have no funding to support travel. We will write letters of support for applicants to apply for funding to travel from other states in Australia, and internationally, and will help to find cheap or couch-surfing-style accommodation from our network here in Melbourne.
*Unless programming older but little-heard works